I am currently making a cosplay of Effie Trinket from the Hunger Games, played by Elizabeth Banks. I’ve added some pictures below. You will notice when looking at the pictures that there are A LOT of feathers. I have hand painted each of these feathers and then hot glued and/or sewn the feathers on to a base, plain black dress that I bought at a thrift store. The process to make these feathers is long and time consuming, so I posted it below in case anybody wanted to make an Effie Trinket cosplay using feathers!
1. Buy these white, synthetic goose feathers from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/CrazyDeal-beautiful-feather-inches-charming/dp/B00RB95HF6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00)
2. Spray the feathers with Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating, wait until it dries (about 15 minutes) – can be bought at Michaels Craft Store
3. Paint with Cadmium Orange Acrylic paint (I used the Fine Touch brand from Hobby Lobby), wait until it dries (about 10 minutes)
4. Paint monarch design with Black Acrylic paint (same brand as the orange), I used a very small paint brush to paint the design (to be specific I used a Royal & Langnickel MSGE250-20/0), wait until it dries (about 10 minutes)
5. Paint dot design on the feather in White and Yellow (there should be more white than yellow). I used a toothpick to make the dots very small. Wait until it dries (about 5 minutes)
6. Hot glue/sew the feathers to a base black dress
7. Spray again with the Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating
8. Repeat 800 times.